Wednesday, March 11, 2009

UCLA Armenian Studies Under Attack: UCLA ASA President’s Response

Iren Tatevosyan
itatevosyan@ucla.edu

I am truly appalled, taken aback, and literally disgusted to the point of repugnance.
I write this note as an Armenian-American student at UCLA, as the President of the Armenian Students’ Association at UCLA, but most importantly, as a scholar and individual who will not stand for the ludicrous propaganda being spread by the makers of "Falsifiers of Armenian History."

Let me make my message plain and clear before I continue: the Armenian students of the world will UNITE, but we will unite against you!

Recently, it was brought to my attention that a video had been circulating on Armenian television channels and now on youtube, which seeks to expose "the Armenian professors in the United States who are promoting the Turkish version of Armenian history." They claim that these professors are, in essence, "CIA agents" and "career spies" who aim to "decompose the Armenian national identity."

The Armenian Studies Professors being maliciously attacked by this smear campaign are Nina Garsoian (Columbia), Ronald Suny (University of Chicago), Robert Thomson (Oxford), Richard Hovannisian (UCLA), James Russell (Harvard), Peter Cowe (UCLA), Alina Ayvazian (Cal Graduate, Visiting Professor at UCI), and Simon Payaslian (Boston University).

Unlike you, I cannot speak for those Professors whom I am not familiar with nor have taken their courses. Unlike you, I will not make generalized, ignorant claims about matters I do not know of or do not have first-hand accounts of. Thus, my rebuttal to your slander will be in defense of esteemed professors Dr. Richard Hovannisian and Dr. Peter Cowe. However, I believe that the unveiling of your misinformed, extremist opinions in regard to the UCLA professors will lead to the unraveling of your entire illegitimate campaign.

First and foremost, how dare you berate these scholastic men who have dedicated their lives to learning, preserving, and educating the youth of the Diaspora on Armenian history. More importantly, how on earth can you even conjure up the thought that these professors are aligned with the "Turkish Government’s Foreign Ministry" when in 1997 they spearheaded a movement which successfully blocked the Turkish government’s effort to establish an Ottoman and Turkish history chair at UCLA (http://articles.latimes.com/1997/dec/06/news/mn-61134).
While this statement may be cliché, I have never before found it to ring louder and truer: YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES.

Unfortunately, as ultra-extremists, you are probably blind to the disservice you are causing the greater Armenian community by contaminating the minds of the unsuspecting public. With just a few counterclaims, I will eradicate the contagious nonsense you are disseminating.

Fabrication #1: Richard Hovannisian is a "corrupt historian who uses the Turkish terminology for the Armenian Highland by calling it Eastern Anatolia."

TRUTH: How assuredly you proclaim your falsities. Well, as a student who has taken both Ancient and currently Modern Armenian history taught by Dr. Hovannisian, I can factually state that he has not referred to historic Armenian lands as Eastern Anatolia. Instead, he continually lectures on the Armenian plateau.

Wait. This is actually the only personal attack you make against Dr. Hovannisian. Instead, because of the laxity of your claims you proceed to attack his son. Any properly trained reporter knows that if your claims have any substance you would not resort to attacking the familial members of the person who is your actual target.

Fabrication/Most Ridiculous Statement of the Video #2: Peter Cowe’s research is focused on the History of Armenian Theatre and Film, Armenian Medieval Intellectual History, and the Growth of Modern Armenian Nationalism. Who is this guy really working for? He is studying about Armenian theatre and inquiring about Armenian nationalism?

REBUTTAL: Since when has it been a vice to foster a thirst for knowledge in a variety of subject areas? Furthermore, as a critic of history you should know that the Armenian national movement significantly contributed to the restoration of drama after the period known as the "Dark Ages" in Armenian history. Here is a thought: maybe you should take a history course with Dr. Hovannisian; it might help to brighten the shadow cast over your twisted view of history.

I can honestly go on and on, but I will not expand my efforts to thwarting your callous campaign in further publications.

Instead, I will conclude with the following thoughts. If there is one thing I have learned from Armenian history, it is this: no one can successfully bring about our destruction but us.
By attacking those very people who seek to enlighten both Armenian and foreign peoples about the rich history of our forefathers, you are no better than the princely nakharars whose squabbling prevented Armenians from creating a unified front against Eastern and Western imperialism/domination.

If you wish to contribute to the wheels of Armenian history, then continue grinding the lever of separation.

However I, whom you proclaim to be one of the "brainwashed" university students, will not stand by as you continue to pollute Armenian minds with your vicious propaganda. I will stay up, as I did tonight, and continue to do so every night until your insidiousness is brought to an end.
My fellow peers, I ask you to act as I have. Don’t just take my word for it. See this hateful video for yourself [Search You Tube for "Falsifiers of Armenian History"].

CALL TO ACTION: Flag this video so that it may be taken off You Tube. Mark it as "Hateful and Abusive Content" – "Promotes Hatred and Violence."

Tell your parents and everyone you know about this smear campaign. Furthermore, if the video is discussed or played on Armenian TV, please call in and refute these opinions.

You best believe that this is our initial response. I will not stop until this video and your pathetic, unsubstantial claims are erased.

The Armenian students are beginning to unite. We will unite to stop you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well written article Iren, both intellectually and with great passion. I am glad you have the opportunity to express your views completely in your, this country. Talking about the Armenian Genocide is always an important subject, and will be as long as any group of people, including you and me, pursue ideals of hatred.
The Armenian Genocide is most often accepted as fact in South East Asia, although the facts are less supportive of pure innocence pertaining to Armenian men and their active political and military pursuits at the time. Still, whatever the motivations it was still Genocide, and still a humanitarian aberration.
One problem many in South East Asia and myself in Glendale, California have is; that so Armenian scholars and communities completely disregard or deny the Genocides of other cultures and societies such as the; various Tribes and Nations of the Native American Indian, over 2 million Cambodians, 2 million Vietnamese, and even current Genocides in Africa.
I had the honor and pleasure of many long hours as a youth living in Glendale hearing first hand stories of the Genocide by my best friends Grandmother, Uncle, and their friends. She with a bullet scare on her leg, and her brother with a bullet still lodged in his back. Over half their family murdered, most of the rest spread over many areas of the world.
They taught me five things: #1 Forgiveness is essential in a society that does not murder or fuel decisions based on generational hatred. #2 That no one should forget what happened because all loved ones deserve remembrance as to who they were, b they will always live in who we are, and who our future children and society will become. #3 That were two Genocides taking place before and after what has become to be called the Armenian Genocide; one was and to some extent still is men, women, children and scholars. The other was by both Armenian and Turkish men and society to make non-existent the rights, life, and human essence of woman. #4 Never forget the "smiles" that live on in story telling, dance, art, pursuit of education, and especially the sounds of music (art). #5 To be grateful for the freedom we have in this country to be who we are , to dream, to reach our highest potential... and always pursue with intensity these freedoms to live and achieve as free Armenian Women, neither oppressed or silenced by our persecutors, especially our sons who become men.
Please be careful Iren not to let hatred rule your own action when pursing your right to free an open speech. No one here will take your freedom away unless you hand it to them. The only way to do that is to destroy that freedom by destroying others no matter how aberrant it might in fact be.
My adopted " Grandmother" would be heart broken by the hatred I so often hear these days from and to Armenians. She would be devastated to see how many Armenian women are not respected, and empowered ... and especially hurt to see that so many of the "sons" still treat women in the same ways.
At the same time she would be very proud of you, and young women like you. She would tell you your culture needs your passion, needs your guidance to live life fully with the "smiles". Needs your own compassion for the sons... that means forgiveness and education that all children, boys and girls have the right to dream for and achieve their highest potential.
FYI ... I'm a white guy, one quarter Black Foot Sioux, living most months in South East Asia pursing women's and children's rights ( child trafficking ). I am grateful for that part of her Armenian spirit that 'smiles' in me.
Keep writing, keep thinking, keep growing, reach your highest potential... and keep "smiling". You honor my adopted gma's life and memory. Thank you.

Michael