Sunday, October 4, 2009

Yerker, Yerker, Yerker Ounem Hazar Desag

By: Niyiri Manougian
niyirianaghchig@netscape.net

Yerker, yerker, yerker ounem hazar desag...too bad the Armenian youth isn’t listening.

Growing up with a strong sense of pride in Armenian music, I find it disconcerting when the young Armenian generation of today disregards its own culture’s music for the music of odars. To this day, I sometimes get chills when I hear an especially moving piece of Armenian music, and I feel as though not enough Armenian youths feel this way for the music of their ancestors.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with listening to music other than Armenian; it makes for a well-rounded person. But when the bulk of what one listens to become a tribute to other cultures or movements, a part of the Armenian culture is lost within that individual.

Just to clarify… I was born and raised right here in Southern California. People usually think that there is no way I could have grown up on Amerigian hogh and possibly hold these strong views and opinions about the Armenian culture and youth. I am considered an anomaly - to some.

In fact, I underwent my own little pre-teenage rebellion against Armenian music, and from the ages of 10-13, I listened to nothing but the hot boy bands of my generation… I still have a bunch of CD’s from various non-Armenian singers and bands somewhere at my house. But what happens when the Armenian youth of today completely ignore the music of their heritage?

First of all, let’s define what constitutes Armenian music and songs. Just because the words are in Armenian doesn’t necessarily make that music Armenian. Take Andy or Joseph for instance… (I can already hear the gasps of horror…she did not just go there). Sure the lyrics say “Hey, you're listening to Armenian music,” but we all know that the background music is either Persian or Arabic disguised as Armenian. Don’t be fooled by these imposters; there isn’t a shred of Armenian melody in these songs.

Then, there are the songs, like the ones that the band Element plays, that use odar music, but do it in a way to modernize traditional Armenian songs. These are bearable, even enjoyable, because the connoisseur of Armenian music knows that the images evoked by the lyrics are of a people that are proud and humble, wise and keghchoug, fighters and lovers. The words evoke a past that represents the pastoral Armenian landscape…

All around abounds music that has Armenian lyrics, but the music is missing the soul of the Armenian beat. You know what beat I’m talking about - the one that serves as a call to its people... if you listen closely.

There are also those songs that have the Armenian melody, but the singers use non-Armenian words. The artist evidently understands the Armenian beat, the rhythm and sound that make Armenian music what it is. Let’s give him/her credit for that. But why not use Armenian words? Maybe he or she isn’t well-versed in the language of his/her ancestors, and has no choice but to use words from his Mother Tongue (which evidently is no longer Armenian). In my humble opinion, this imposter is preferable to the former.

Go to any party or get-together today where only youth are gathered -- wait, why exclude the adults from this realm of modern coolness -- where all Armenians are gathered. If you’re lucky, you’ll hear a song, maybe even two (this really must be your lucky day) in Armenian. What a tragedy. Spidag Chart has invaded our festivities as well.

I can hear it now: What, you want us to listen to the same old song again and again? What about progress?

Yes, what about progress? Why do we insist on taking the work of other cultures and modifying it, plastering it with remnants of Armenian music or lyrics to try to pass it off as such? All you artists out there, this is a call to you. Invent, compose, author, and originate. Create the new Armenian beat, the new Armenian sound. Let it be original. Don’t take from others; make your own. Make the present and oncoming generations proud to listen to their music. Let others copy the Armenian sound for a change. Be the new Ara Gevorgyan.

Maybe I’m just a romantic at heart, searching for a Utopian Armenia through the music that has come to us through thousands of years…an Armenia that probably will never exist.

No comments: