Sunday, April 4, 2010

Khatchadourian Knows How to Rock the Stage

By Christina Der Sarkissian
Chrisdersark@ucla.edu

Spontaneous, generous, and talented: Eileen Khatchadourian changed the way thousands perceive Armenian music by blending rock music with traditional folk songs.

“I always knew I wanted to be a singer,” Khatchadourian states. She attended a music conservatory from a young age, where she learned piano and solfegio. “I don’t think that rock is very different from classical music,” she states. With the advantages of growing up in a family of musicians coupled with her sensational musical talent, Khatchadourian’s innate passion for music spurred a new genre of music: Armenian Rock.

Each song on the Midan album incorporates an Armenian song with a different style of rock. Most of the songs are alternative rock: Zarti Vortyag is industrial rock, Karouna is gothic rock, and Aravod is more trip-hop.

Khatchadourian, born in Beirut, Lebanon, attended Hripsimiantz (an Armenian private school) until the age of fifteen, where she enjoyed performing songs at school concerts. Since leaving Beirut, she has been on her feet, traveling from Paris to Belgium to Dubai to Abidjan, living in a different location every couple of years. “In Paris, I felt a huge distance between me, my parents, and childish friends – something was missing in my life,” Khatchadourian said, after feeling lonely in a country with a very small Armenian population.

“There was an awakening of my Armenian identity,” she states, and she began learning Gregorian and traditional songs. Although she was very into jazz at the time, there were already many Armenian singers who were producing jazz music, and she wanted to do something different. Khatchadourian collaborated with keyboard player Mazen Siblinialso, drummer Jad Aouad, and bass players Mihran Gurunian and Haitham Shalhoub… the magic had begun.

Khatchadourian was much honored when her first album Midan was nominated by the Armenian Music Awards for the title of Best Rock Album amongst other professionals who were on their third or fourth album. “It was a very proud moment for me, representing both Armenians and Lebanese among 7,000 people in the Nokia Theater,” she states.

She points out that her music is for non-Armenians to enjoy as well, saying, “It’s for them to see our heritage.” Her astounding ability to reach out to not only the Armenian community allows others to be exposed to rich Armenian culture through her fiery music.

“I wanted my first CD to be Armenian – I felt that it was my duty to do this, but a very pleasant duty nonetheless,” Khatchadourian states. She hopes to continue producing albums and is currently working on her second album, which will include some songs in Armenian (folklore), but will broaden her musical scope to a couple of English songs as well. She is currently working on music videos from the album Midan, as well as working hard to perform in a concert in Los Angeles.

When asked as to where she sees herself in ten years, Khatchadourian replied, “To be quite honest, I don’t have any long term plans. I only wish that I will be traveling and singing, while making the people I love proud.”

You can check out Eileen Khatchadourian on Facebook or on her webpage, www.eileenkhatchadourian.com, where samples of her music can be heard.

No comments: