Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Man Behind The Ink: Varand Hartoonian


“I started tattooing about two years ago. A friend of mine bought a cheap tattoo machine and tried to do tats but it wasn’t working out. I asked to borrow it and went home and tatted myself on my leg; I put a cross for my uncle - typical Armenian. After that, I traded my punching bag for a tattoo kit. To make a long story short, I got a lot of help from Body Shop Tattoo in Glendale. They basically took me from the street and made me into what I am today. I love them like family. Most of the time I feel good when I do Armenian writing on my people. I feel like I’m keeping my culture alive because they can’t erase it. It’s a good feeling. A lot of the people I tattoo on are Armenian. The piece I’m really proud of wasn’t like a crazy tattoo, it read ‘feed off each other.’ At the time, I didn’t understand, but now I get it. I thought the person I did it on would always be by my side. I didn’t know life doesn’t hold any promises. He passed away. I think parents have to be more open to this shit, especially Armenian parents. It’s only a bad thing if you make it bad. Most of the time, tattoos help heal wounds that can’t be healed by just words, but then again, I see what they’re worried about. Armenian girls I can’t figure out - some are very closed to ideas; they want it really small. Some just go all out, worse than the men. I LOVE MY JOB because it lets me connect with people; I give them something that they can take to the grave with them. Best feeling is when they’re happy with their tattoo. When this happens, I don’t even care about the money.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAREV VARAND VONTSES, ES HETAKRKRVUM EM TATTOO ARTISTI SHTAP, ETE KAROX ES EM HET XOSEL EV ZANGAHAREL, APA ZANGI AYS HAMAROV 1310-890-9991 ANUNES EDGAR,ISK ARTET SHAT DURES EKAV,SHTAP ZANGAHARI, SHNORHAKAL:

Anonymous said...

BAREV, VARAND ES NAYETSI KO CTEXTSAGORTSUTYUNE, EV TSANKANUM EM HETAKRKRVEL TATTOOISTI, ETE KAROX ES ZANGAHAREL AYS HAMAROV ,1310-890-9991 ANUNES EDGAR, SHTAP ZANGAHARI:

Anonymous said...

ZANGAHARI KAM EMAIL ARA VARAND:EMAIL KOMITAS29@AOL.COM

Anonymous said...

varand jan can u email me I need to get a tat on ma back and on my chest. thanks

the818section@aim.com

BigBadBanglo said...

HEY VARAND. I NEED TO GET A TAT ON MY BACK AND ON MY CHEST . CAN U HIT ME UP ON MY EMAIL SO I CAN GIVE U MA HUMBER . THANKS APEH

BigBadBanglo said...

OH I FORGOT ITS.

the818section@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hey. i am looking for some1 to design a armenian tattoo for me, could you please email me .
mufc_crazy@hotmail.com

thanks for your time

American Armenian Legion said...

Hi Varank, can you please email me so I can have you design a tattoo for me americanarmenianlegion@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I guess we've gotten so watered down as Armenians that now we have to have tattoos to remind us about our culture and where we came from? We can't just listen to our grandparents' stories, listen to our music, enjoy our foods, and all the other great things that make us Armenian? I don't blame Varand for getting into this business, but I blame parents for not teaching their kids that their bodies are sacred and don't need to be modified. I'm curious to see all these people when they are old, wrinkled and have blobs of ink on their skin that are fading away. How is it going to look then? By the way, I'm young and know there's going to be someone that calls me a hater or some other meaningless label. I'm not against tattoos, I just think people don't think long term.