Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rapper H1, A Remix on Life



I once asked this rapper if the song he was humming was a remix of its original version. To this he responded: “I’m doing a remix on life.” And doing the remixing was Patrick Antonian: an eclectic blend of several characteristics all in one human, which is also his stage name – Human1, or more commonly, H1 da Yung Gun.

His versatility as an artist and his multi-faceted personality comes through in his past works as well as current projects. His first EP from 2004, Heavy Grounds (title inspired by Sun Tzu’s “Art of War”), is filled with intricate instrumentals and substantive lyrics that ponder life and the human condition. “The album was my understanding and interpretation of the world,” Antonian said, explaining that he wanted to introduce himself through his perspective and share what pains him and what makes him happy.

Today, his music is happier, more radio-friendly, which is appropriate considering the heights that his artistry has reached. The rapper now has his own label called OPM, which has the option to nonexclusively distribute through Sony Music Entertainment. In addition, he is currently writing music for several TV Networks, whose names cannot be mentioned as the episodes for which he has been writing have not yet aired.

Despite career successes, Antonian still felt the sting of the social stigma that comes with being a rapper in the Armenian community. Although he’s always had close Armenian friends, his best friends have been of different backgrounds, and Antonian’s nonjudgmental attitude is a confirmation of that fact. He has been accused of “trying to act Black” and “not being Armenian enough.” Yet he prides himself in representing Armenians among his non-Armenian and underground communities.

“The underground community is more about love and acceptance,” Patrick explained, adding that they think it’s ‘dope’ that he represents his people. The most obvious example being “Holy Grail” off of his Heavy Grounds EP, which is a collaboration with the Armenian painter, author, playwright and actor Vahe Berberian and deals with genocides, the Armenian in particular.

Antonian’s circumstances and inner drive converged to create the artist that he is today. Born in Beirut, Antonian grew up in the Valley, CA but frequented Hollywood throughout his childhood. Having experienced a street life, Antonian grew up break dancing from the age of 12 in local circles as well as tagging graffiti from the age of 10. “I started out writing my favorite hip-hop verses while tagging and eventually I started writing my own lines.” This prepared him for the cyphers he would join at the age of 15 – cyphers meaning freestyling in a group setting. “Freestyling came naturally to me,” Antonian said. “I used to battle older guys as a kid,” something that is made believable by his quick comebacks and smart mouth.

Around the age of 16, he and his friends put up money in order to buy studio time and release songs under the name Backwash Foundation; “backwash” in the sense of being the outcasts of society. “I was in that zone where I had to question authority to find my peace of mind,” Antonian said explaining the name and also the essence of the group’s music.

Antonian’s parents were always supportive as the hobbies “kept me out of trouble” Patrick said, adding that “I already knew right from wrong; they let me figure it out.” Still, there was tension at home when the struggle to succeed became overwhelming. And it still is: “I think about music 24 hours a day. When you’re not getting there, the setbacks slowly drive you crazy,” said the obsessive-compulsive perfectionist. His other option is to finish up his degree at California State University of Northridge in Business Management, where he specialized in the business aspect of music.

But looking at his track record, it doesn’t seem as though Antonian’s journey has been in vain, or that he should give up. Currently acting as his own manager, he juggles several projects ranging from recording two tracks with Dr. Dre’s Hitman called “New West Affiliates” and “Stripclub,” which will be released through Aftermath Entertainment, as well as features on the Bone Thugs Mo’ Thugs Project. He is also working on Armenian collaborations, one of them being the “IAN-YAN Connection” with producer Zarotek.
Though H1 is mostly known for being a lyricist, he is an artist at heart, with a wide range of talents. “I always wanted to be a drummer,” he said, nostalgically looking over to an empty corner of the room where he had played on his drum set of over 10 years until it was recently sold. And if he wasn’t busy drumming, he was painting – a hobby that stemmed from graffiti art.

“On canvas?” I naturally assumed. “No,” he answered, “On interesting pieces I find in the backyard, or alleyways; like awkwardly shaped wood, table-tops, or couches. Sometimes I would make collages of faces, or take pictures and drawings and create the mood of that day and tell a story.” He has thus far sold all his work at either his shows or yard sales. “I would just put them out on the table and people actually picked them up,” he said adding that he would run out of supply to fulfill the demand. The rapper has also dabbled in acting, starring in movies including County General (2005), in which he had several lines.

You always wonder what drives people like Patrick, and from where they get their inspiration and work ethic. According to the rapper, he gets his artistic edge from his mother who has always been very supportive of his work. His father, also his only role model, offered him a credo which he now lives by: Never let a man borrow three things: your car, your gun, and your wife. “Everything I know about money, the street business, I got from my dad,” Antonian said, “I never took role models from the entertainment industry.” But he did take musical influence from the likes of Marvin Gaye, Tupac, and the Wu-Tang Clan, to name a few.

It is hard to explain a person like Patrick; it is something he did best when he said: “I keep my feet on the ground, but my head in the clouds.”

Antonian is releasing a mixtape titled H1 &1, and his album is slated to be released sometime in 2011. For more info. search H1 on iTunes or google H1music.

No comments: