by Ani KhachoyanAlice Panikian is more than the average college student. Not only does she balance school, work and social life like the rest of us, but she was also crowned “Miss Universe Canada” in 2006.
Alice has a passion for school and volunteers her time promoting anti-bullying campaigns. I had the privilege of an online interview with Alice. Here is what she has to say about winning Miss Universe 2006, the support of the Armenian community, her passion for broadcast journalism and her work with anti-bullying campaigns.
Ani Khachoyan: What motivated you to enter the competition for Miss Universe Canada in 2006?
Alice Panikian: Well initially I was becoming discouraged that my modeling career was not taking off like I wanted it to. I’m the type of person who needs to be doing something, who has to have a project. I had always wanted to compete at the Miss Universe competition one day, and the timing seemed to be right. I quickly realized what a huge opportunity it would be if I actually won Miss Universe Canada. I would have the opportunity to travel, meet many people and give back to the country that gave me so much.
AK: What kinds of preparations are required to enter a competition like Miss Universe Canada?
AP: I honestly didn’t prepare at all. At that point I had been modeling for years and I had watched every Miss Universe and Miss USA in the past 10 years, so I had a pretty good idea of what they were looking for.
AK: What were some of the feelings you had when you were announced as Miss Universe Canada 2006?
AP:People never believe me when I say this but, I was in complete shock when I won because I didn’t think they would choose me. I thought they would choose the other girl because I felt she had a better final answer then I did. I learned later that the winner was decided based on the entire competition, not just the final answer. I think my performance that night was strongest overall, which is why I won. But even my reaction was funny because I didn’t seem thrilled to be named the winner. I remember when they called my name and a few seconds passed and I was wondering where the tears were, I always thought that if I won I would cry, but the tears never came to me. I was jumping on the inside!
AK: What was your favorite part of the entire competition?
AP: The best part of any competition for me is without a doubt being on stage. There’s nothing else like it. Some people are scared of the idea of parading on stage in a swimsuit, but I think that’s when I shine most and it’s when I feel most alive.
AK: What were you like growing up? Is there someone who influenced you to become the person you are today or a moment you can remember that had a huge impact on your life?
AP: When I was growing up I was an awkward, lonely child. I was bullied a lot in school, but I think it made me into the person I am today. My mom definitely helped me get through the hard times and showed me what it was to be a strong woman. I admire her and appreciate her unconditional love every day.
AK: What made you decide to go into Journalism and what do you aspire after receiving your degree?
AP: In high school I felt the constant pressure to pick a future career. I took a media class and I was so fascinated by that industry so I started considering it as a possible career option. After taking a few more writing courses and really developing a love for it, I decided that I wanted to be a journalist. Only recently did I decide I wanted to get into broadcasting. Once I finish my education I hope to find a career on television and maybe one day be the host of my own show.
AK: Can you explain how the Armenian community helped you on your way to becoming Miss Universe Canada 2006?
AP: I was amazed at all the support I received after I won Miss Universe Canada from the Armenian community around the globe. I got many e-mails telling me how proud they were of me and I was quite honestly shocked by this because I am only one-fourth Armenian. My last name is Armenian, so it instantly interested other Armenians, but I was worried that once they found out I was just one-fourth Armenian they would not care anymore. Yet, the support kept coming. More and more Armenians were writing to me and inviting me to events such as “The Armenian Music Awards” in Los Angeles. It really brought me closer to the Armenian community. I am so proud to be partly Armenian, and I am so happy that Armenians are proud of me also.
AK: There is so much influence from the media about what a “perfect body” entails. This really affects young girls and sometimes this even leads to eating disorders in teenagers. What is one advice you would give to these young girls about beauty or anything else?
AP: It is unfortunate that there is so much pressure from the media on young girls to be thin and conventionally beautiful. I think real beauty comes from our differences. What would be interesting about life if everyone looked the same? The key for me is everything in moderation. Small meals often and regular exercise will get any person to their ideal body weight and will give them more energy. And it is always important to remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are no perfect women out there whom everyone considers to be beautiful. Everyone has a different idea of what ‘beautiful’ is and it would be exhausting to try pleasing everyone. The important thing is to be happy with yourself and to try not to be affected by what others think you should look like.
AK: What are some of your favorite things to do in your free time?
AP: In my free time I like to go shopping! I think I am a bit of a shopaholic but unlike most girls I hate shopping for shoes. I don’t like trying shoes on for some reason…clothing is a different story. I also like to go to the gym. I never used to go before I won Miss Canada but I feel so much healthier and stronger now.
AK: Do you have any crazy fans?
AP: Well fortunately I don’t have any stalkers (knock on wood), but I have received a couple of questionable e-mails asking me if they can come to Toronto to meet me and go on a date. One guy wrote that he knew we were soul mates the moment he first saw me.
AK: Where have you traveled to and which place has been your favorite?
AP: As Miss Canada I have been to Colombia, Miami, Los Angeles, New York and all around Canada. I love New York, I think it is a lively city with so much going on, but I have to say the most memorable trips I had were when I went to Los Angeles. The first time I came for the Armenian Music Awards and the second time was for the Miss Universe competition. The Armenian community of Los Angeles really reached out to me and made me feel welcome. I have never received such a reception anywhere else in the world.
AK: What is one thing you have learned from all this experience?
API’d say the thing I am MOST grateful for becoming more business minded and a lot less naïve. I feel I am more prepared to take on more projects.
Alice Panikian: Well initially I was becoming discouraged that my modeling career was not taking off like I wanted it to. I’m the type of person who needs to be doing something, who has to have a project. I had always wanted to compete at the Miss Universe competition one day, and the timing seemed to be right. I quickly realized what a huge opportunity it would be if I actually won Miss Universe Canada. I would have the opportunity to travel, meet many people and give back to the country that gave me so much.
AK: What kinds of preparations are required to enter a competition like Miss Universe Canada?
AP: I honestly didn’t prepare at all. At that point I had been modeling for years and I had watched every Miss Universe and Miss USA in the past 10 years, so I had a pretty good idea of what they were looking for.
AK: What were some of the feelings you had when you were announced as Miss Universe Canada 2006?
AP:People never believe me when I say this but, I was in complete shock when I won because I didn’t think they would choose me. I thought they would choose the other girl because I felt she had a better final answer then I did. I learned later that the winner was decided based on the entire competition, not just the final answer. I think my performance that night was strongest overall, which is why I won. But even my reaction was funny because I didn’t seem thrilled to be named the winner. I remember when they called my name and a few seconds passed and I was wondering where the tears were, I always thought that if I won I would cry, but the tears never came to me. I was jumping on the inside!
AK: What was your favorite part of the entire competition?
AP: The best part of any competition for me is without a doubt being on stage. There’s nothing else like it. Some people are scared of the idea of parading on stage in a swimsuit, but I think that’s when I shine most and it’s when I feel most alive.
AK: What were you like growing up? Is there someone who influenced you to become the person you are today or a moment you can remember that had a huge impact on your life?
AP: When I was growing up I was an awkward, lonely child. I was bullied a lot in school, but I think it made me into the person I am today. My mom definitely helped me get through the hard times and showed me what it was to be a strong woman. I admire her and appreciate her unconditional love every day.
AK: What made you decide to go into Journalism and what do you aspire after receiving your degree?
AP: In high school I felt the constant pressure to pick a future career. I took a media class and I was so fascinated by that industry so I started considering it as a possible career option. After taking a few more writing courses and really developing a love for it, I decided that I wanted to be a journalist. Only recently did I decide I wanted to get into broadcasting. Once I finish my education I hope to find a career on television and maybe one day be the host of my own show.
AK: Can you explain how the Armenian community helped you on your way to becoming Miss Universe Canada 2006?
AP: I was amazed at all the support I received after I won Miss Universe Canada from the Armenian community around the globe. I got many e-mails telling me how proud they were of me and I was quite honestly shocked by this because I am only one-fourth Armenian. My last name is Armenian, so it instantly interested other Armenians, but I was worried that once they found out I was just one-fourth Armenian they would not care anymore. Yet, the support kept coming. More and more Armenians were writing to me and inviting me to events such as “The Armenian Music Awards” in Los Angeles. It really brought me closer to the Armenian community. I am so proud to be partly Armenian, and I am so happy that Armenians are proud of me also.
AK: There is so much influence from the media about what a “perfect body” entails. This really affects young girls and sometimes this even leads to eating disorders in teenagers. What is one advice you would give to these young girls about beauty or anything else?
AP: It is unfortunate that there is so much pressure from the media on young girls to be thin and conventionally beautiful. I think real beauty comes from our differences. What would be interesting about life if everyone looked the same? The key for me is everything in moderation. Small meals often and regular exercise will get any person to their ideal body weight and will give them more energy. And it is always important to remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are no perfect women out there whom everyone considers to be beautiful. Everyone has a different idea of what ‘beautiful’ is and it would be exhausting to try pleasing everyone. The important thing is to be happy with yourself and to try not to be affected by what others think you should look like.
AK: What are some of your favorite things to do in your free time?
AP: In my free time I like to go shopping! I think I am a bit of a shopaholic but unlike most girls I hate shopping for shoes. I don’t like trying shoes on for some reason…clothing is a different story. I also like to go to the gym. I never used to go before I won Miss Canada but I feel so much healthier and stronger now.
AK: Do you have any crazy fans?
AP: Well fortunately I don’t have any stalkers (knock on wood), but I have received a couple of questionable e-mails asking me if they can come to Toronto to meet me and go on a date. One guy wrote that he knew we were soul mates the moment he first saw me.
AK: Where have you traveled to and which place has been your favorite?
AP: As Miss Canada I have been to Colombia, Miami, Los Angeles, New York and all around Canada. I love New York, I think it is a lively city with so much going on, but I have to say the most memorable trips I had were when I went to Los Angeles. The first time I came for the Armenian Music Awards and the second time was for the Miss Universe competition. The Armenian community of Los Angeles really reached out to me and made me feel welcome. I have never received such a reception anywhere else in the world.
AK: What is one thing you have learned from all this experience?
API’d say the thing I am MOST grateful for becoming more business minded and a lot less naïve. I feel I am more prepared to take on more projects.

No comments:
Post a Comment