by Hovanes Ferikian
I came to UCLA after High School not knowing a single Armenian. I heard about the Armenian Students’ Association from two guys in my chemistry class and decided to join them in attending the first general meeting.
Having been the only Armenian out of my high school attending UCLA, I was surprised to find other Armenians here. Because Armenians gravitate to one another, I quickly befriended them and found my home at Kerckhoff patio, where I spent the remaining five years of my life.
The ASA essentially became a tool for me to network with other Armenians, as well as bring us together in social and cultural events. The ASA helped me find a home at UCLA; this is why I decided to return the favor. I ran for (and was elected as) All-ASA Representative and Vice President’s the following year.
This time I felt that the ASA was not reaching its full potential.
That night God came to me and said “Hovo, you must build an ark or become the President of the ASA.” Having no experience building arks I decided to take the challenge that was more suitable to my present circumstance. So I ran for president.
Today I sit and write my farewell to the members who gave me the responsibility of running their ASA. I hope I have not disappointed them.
I was lucky this year because I was given a board that was dedicated and shared the same passion I did for enriching the lives of the Armenians here on campus.
We put great amount of hard work and effort in planning events this year and I will cherish the memories forever.
I will never forget cooking at our first picnic. I will never forget dressing up as a convict at our Halloween party.
I will never forget driving six hours in a storm to Big Bear.
I will never forget the reenactment of a Traditional Armenian Wedding and seeing the reaction from the non-Armenians. I will never forget Professor Richard Hovannisian dancing with Anahid Keshishian at the wedding.
I will never forget raising one thousand dollars selling my friends at our Valentines’ Day Auction.
I will never forget the talent at our Open Mic Night.
I will never forget our Palm Springs retreat in Marilyn Monroe’s house jumping off the roof into the pool.
I will never forget this past weekend’s trip to Santa Barbara where we had an awesome beach view.
This year has also been educational. I will never forget learning about the Human Trafficking in Armenia at our general meeting, learning about the instruments of my ancestors and hearing them played at another general meeting, spreading Genocide awareness at speak-outs in Meyerhoff Park, listening to R-Mean and Profit rap about the Genocide at Bruin Plaza, joining with over one hundred Armenians in a silent march to spread Genocide awareness, or seeing so many faces at our Genocide Commemoration event with Taner Akcam.
I will never forget the year I spent serving the members of the ASA as President. Just like any year, there was turmoil, but issues were quickly resolved and the ASA became stronger than ever and now the year has come to an end with the banquet just around the corner. I did my best as your President and hope that I have served you well.
I am hoping to see the ASA grow and become a stronger organization next year.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment