Sunday, December 13, 2009

~Fashion with Mari~ If You Have the Shoes, Start the Conversation

By Mari Gezalyan
Mhgezalyan@gmail.com

Friday night at the Penthouse, looking around the crowded bar, it should be a sea of men looking to impress viable women. However, it’s more like a sea of fashionably clad men and plastic injected aspiring actresses. In the midst of Mystic-tanned bodies, there is the average woman with black patent leather 4-inch Louboutins trying to make her way to an Armani suited bloke. However, with just a couple of feet in their way, she gave up and ordered herself a bone-dry martini. She had the shoes; she just needed to start the conversation.

This is a common scene that I have seen from Los Angeles to New York. Women dressed to kill, but lacking the confidence to strike up anything more than a match. But this notion of confidence goes beyond the scope of a social setting and transcends into one’s everyday life. In order to see how this concept maps out in my day-to-day life, I decided to document what I wore, what I did, and how the events of my day were influenced (if) by what I wore.

Monday afternoon: at Barney’s for Lanvin’s trunk show with L.A.’s most stylish and N.Y.’s most fabulous. Wearing my favorite black Zara booties I bought from Paris, opaque purple tights, with a dark grey wrap dress by Velvet. To top off the look, I wore my favorite gold hoop earrings, a masculine gold Michael Kors watch, and a quilted Marc Jacobs purse. The mood was work, comfort, and mobility all over Barney’s. My 4 and half inch heels were exactly what I needed to get my 5’6 frame as tall as the models who were displaying the new Spring/Summer collections. Confidence among über tall and skinny goddesses? Definitely in check.

Tuesday, 6 a.m.: franticly revising my article that is due in a couple of hours at a staff meeting in my Betsy Johnson nightie. Mood? I need more coffee. By late afternoon, I have managed to tame the hair and make it to work. I decided to go with my new favorite Patterson J. Kincaid shirt with a gold zipper going down the back, black Zara leggings, and once again the Zara booties. Mood? I’m all work and poise in my stilts.

Wednesday: all play today. After submitting my article, I was able to enjoy a day in bed. However after six episodes of Mad Men season 1, I realized that my Crabtree and Evelyn robe had become a part of me. Mood? Lazy. 7 p.m. at El Cholo’s, Santa Monica for margaritas and Mexican food with a couple of girlfriends from college. Wearing my Abercrombie and Fitch acid washed ripped jeans, a dark blue men’s Hanes t-shirt, brown Tory Burch flats, and my oversized Chole bag. Mood? Lazy, hungry, and relaxed after a couple of sips of my freshly squeezed lime potion.

Thursday: all back to work. With a client meeting in the West side, I went for a classic black dress a la Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” patent red sling backs from Guess, Wolford nude fishnets, Louis Vuitton popincourt top handle purse, and my great- grandmother’s gold necklace from Greece. From the showrooms of Lyold Klein to Ford Filling Company for happy hour wine with Mr. Klein. Mood? WORK, WORK, WORK! Nonetheless, by our second glass of cabernet, the bartender handed me a napkin with the bloke’s (sitting a few seats down from us) phone number. Flattered to say the least, I realized I had seen him on T.V. An actor, strike one. Tapered stone washed jeans, strike two. Strike three? I towered over him in my 5 inches. Mood by the end of the evening? I had the shoes, but definitely not striking up anything.

Friday night, Arpa International Film Festival. On top a Forever 21 navy blue tank, a Gezar couture mini bubble skirt, Walford nude fishnets, and my ultra favorite 5 and half inch bronze Yves Saint Laurent sling backs. Mood? Sexy, girly, and very flirty. I was wearing the shoes and conversations were flowing.

Saturday: continuing with the festival all weekend. Tonight I went with another Forever 21 silk purple sleeveless blouse, Dolce and Gabbana leopard print pencil skirt with black patent Manolo Blahniks, and a vintage clutch I found buried in a half-off bin at the Salvation Army. Mood? All the same from the night before; however, after a couple of hours, I was dying to kick the shoes off and get in my PJs.

Sunday afternoon: having our traditional sushi lunch with the family. Wearing an oversized Heritage white sweater with skinny Joe’s jeans and black Charles David flats; perfect look to go from family time to movie date by adding Juicy statement earrings. Mood? Gone from laughing too much with family to gushing over Wall-E and a possible new beau.

One thing that I had noticed throughout my whole week was how my shoes did in fact affect the way I felt about my day, self, and setting. Whenever I wore my ultra high heels, I felt poised and confident. The added height definitely did help. In flats, or better yet, barefoot, I felt lazy, comfortable, and cozy. Ironically, I moved in a much faster pace when dressed up rather than being dressed down. Next time you put on those Rainbow flip flops, fuzzy Uggs, New Balance running shoes, or polished pumps try to think of what mood you’re in that day, and if you have the shoes ladies, start the conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ASPIRING, not INSPIRING

Armenian Chronicles said...

Thank you Anonymous! We're only human :)