Sunday, December 13, 2009

SakoSan Photography: Capturing the Moments that Define Peoples’ Lives

By Christine Kojayan
Bruingirl0021@ucla.edu

“The world is different behind a camera,” states Sarkis Vardanian, a photographer on the rise. One night, Vardanian and his friends decided to go to Sushi Roku for his birthday. He got along with the sociable Japanese chef at his table, who in turn presented Vardanian with his nickname: SakoSan. It was a perfect fit…

Vardanian, born on August 24, 1988 in Glendale, attended Toll Middle School and Hoover High School. He is of Armenian nationality; his mother, from Armenia, and his father, from Iran, immigrated to the States in 1979. When SakoSan told his family that he yearns to become a professional photographer, his family was extremely supportive and still is to this very day.

Talent for photography and the arts wasn’t something that randomly fell upon SakoSan’s lap, but rather has been instilled in him genetically and runs through his blood. It all started when his grandfather took young Vardanian as his little assistant to take photos at a wedding. Sensing artistic talent in his grandchild, Vardanian’s grandfather bought him his very first camera. He was thirteen years old, and he was hooked.

The two major motivators in his life are his grandfather, Dickran Mansurian, as well as his mother, who currently owns a studio known as Ruzz Photography. Both figures are very influential in Vardanian’s life. They’ve both assisted Vardanian in learning the “tricks of the trade,” like lighting, angles, and the different types of lenses. “My grandfather is the one who is responsible for getting me into photography, and has basically taught me everything I know,” claims Vardanian. He is also very thankful for having a best friend like Hayk Dilanyan, a magician that goes by the name of “HD Magic,” for his unwavering support and loyalty.

SakoSan found his love for commercial photography about eight years ago. He is currently active in the wedding scene, and also specializes in taking portraits and doing commercial shoots. One of his favorite shoots involved a commercial shoot for Fortune Vodka. “It was a tough shoot because of the way the bottle was shaped and designed, but after hours and hours of messing around with different lighting techniques, I finally got the perfect flawless image that I was looking for.”

When present at a photo shoot, Vardanian always has one thought in mind: “Everyone’s lives are filled with special moments that they’ll never forget. My job entails me to capture these unforgettable moments on film, and I love being able to do that,” Vardanian explains.

When asked if he has traveled to different regions of the world, SakoSan replies, “Yes, I’ve been to Armenia to shoot a wedding. As a matter of fact, I will be going to Armenia in about a week to shoot another wedding… I have traveled all over California, and even had a shoot in Las Vegas.”

Vardanian’s motivations for photography are “the people and, of course, their reactions. Oh, and definitely the money.” Vardanian loves seeing his clients’ happy faces and smiles after presenting them with their photographs. “It really is amazing, you know, being able to capture the moments that define their lives. Their smiles and reactions are what keep me going,” Vardanian states.

SakoSan is a firm believer of competition being his biggest motivation. “That’s the quote that I live by, because I love competition… the idea that there is somebody better than me out there drives me to work harder and harder. That is what keeps me going,” explains SakoSan.

SakoSan has high hopes of expanding to different people, areas, and environments. “There is no next level; I just have to keep on growing. I already have my own studio, and just have to keep on getting bigger.” This is the main mantra that SakoSan is sticking to and living by.

In ten years, SakoSan sees himself working at “one of the biggest photography studios in Los Angeles, traveling, and doing destination shoots all over the world.” With his determination, creativity, and risk-taking personality, there is no doubt that he will accomplish anything he sets his mind to.

To view some of SakoSan’s photography, please go to www.SakoSan.com, or add him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sakosan.

No comments: